Friday, December 29, 2017

Stuffed Ice Cream; Holiday Edition

Adorable Ice Cream Alert! 
 
Ok, I promise I would have told you about this sooner, but it just hit my ice cream radar and I raced over right away.  Stuffed Ice Cream is brand new to NYC, having opened this past summer.  Their big thing is donut ice cream sandwiches (If that sounds tasty, check out my piece on Holey Cream, where they have been scooping up donut sandwiches for the past 8 years), but that is not what we are here to discuss today!  What got me bundled up and headed to the East Village in this arctic weather are their Christmas Collection Cones.  There are three festive two-scooped creations to choose from: Santa, Reindeer, and Snowman. You get to choose your scoop flavors and your cone, and the scoop artists make the cutest frozen treats you've ever seen.
There are many wonderful flavors to choose from and samples to be tried if you are having trouble making your selection.
What I got: Christmas Collection Cone "Santa" - Andes Peppermint and Red Velvet Cookie Dough Crumble Ice Cream on a red velvet Konery Cone with a cone and frosting hat, Oreo eyes, a marshmallow beard, Pocky arms (the description said "candy cane", but I'm not mad), and what I think was a white chocolate chip button.

What Greg got: Signature Cruff  "Cereal Killer" - Fruity Pebbles and Cinnamon Toast Crunch Ice Cream in a glazed donut with Captain Crunch and caramel sauce.

Clearly I was feeling festive with both the color and flavors of my ice cream choices.  Look how pretty it is!  I tried the Red Velvet Cookie Dough Crumble (yes, that's one flavor) before ordering it and liked both the texture and the way the flavor evoked cake.  The Andes Peppermint I went for blindly because I love Andes, I love mint ice cream, and, well, it's green and this is a Christmas cone after all.  What struck me about both ice creams as I ate my festive treat was they were rather mild in flavor.  I expected the Andes to be a stronger mint, like the candy it is named for, and to have more of a chocolate presence.  The Red Velvet was pretty true to its cake counterpart in that the flavor was very minimal.  It was definitely red, but after a few bites any defining characteristics faded.  The toppings were what made this creation special.  The cone and frosting hat started things off with a crunch, and the Oreo eyes gave me a little pop of chocolate.  The marshmallow beard was a little stiff (I don't want to say stale... maybe just cold to hold it together?) and that added a whole new texture to the experience.  I loved it!
Greg's Cruff in all its glory
I did get a bite of Greg's Cruff (what Stuffed calls their donut ice cream sandwiches; according to their website it is a mix of the words "cream" for ice cream and "stuffed"), but I will have to come back and order my own to truly experience the Cruff.  My first impressions are that they are bigger than my mouth, and that this one was made particularly sticky by the caramel on the outside. 

I asked the Very Friendly Scoop Artists how long the Christmas Collection would be available:
VFSA #1: Probably just until New Years.
VFSA #2 (almost simultaneously): Forever!
VFSA #1: You think we are going to be making these still in July?
VFSA #2: ... Maybe
VFSA #1: Probably only through this weekend.

Clearly, I'm going to have to give Stuffed another go.  Possibly this weekend to try another member of the Christmas Collection before they are potentially gone.  And then again another time to get a Cruff and to try some of the other wide variety of flavors Stuffed Ice Cream has to offer. 
The Rundown:
Where: Stuffed Ice Cream
139 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10003
https://stuffedicecreamnyc.com/
What they're known for: Cruffs (donut ice cream sandwiches)
A single cup or cone: $4.25
Most Extreme Menu Item: Ice Cream Bouquet (7 scoops of ice cream on a cone) $18 
Note: The website says they have one with 21 scoops, but no price is given.
Non-ice cream menu options: Boxed water

No comments:

Post a Comment